Saturday, October 2, 2010

Kathmandu, Nepal

After 30 long and ardous hours of traveling through stopovers in Zurich, Switzerland and New Delhi, India ... I have finally arrived in Nepal. Feels pretty unbelievable at this point as the lack of sleep and bad airplane food is causing havoc to the system. Once I cleared customs and was granted a temporary travellers visa I was met outside the airport by A.D. Sherpa who is one half of FIHP and taken into Kathmandu. I am bring hosted at the luxurious Shangri-La Hotel and John Childs who is the other half of FIHP was waiting for me upon arrival.

I checked into my room and then met John back in the lobby and proceeded to open the talks about becoming partners with Eco-Librium Adventures and so the fun began. John toured me around Kathmandu and we explored the back roads in the Thamel district (more to follow) and brought me into his world of organized tour and travel packages. I will be spending the day tomorrow with John exploring the sights and touring around more of the region. I am heading to Pokhara the following day to begin a 5 day personal trek into the foothills of the Annapurna Mountains. I am getting the FIHP experience as it will be just my guide Pasang Sherpa and a porter.

We briefly visited Boudanath and walked around the
historic Stupe that is there. I will post more about the history of this area as I will return there to meet up with Ryan Conlon at some point.
Busy first day, had to take a brief nap to start to feel normal again. Tomorrow is another day with more to see and to write about so I will try to check in before leaving for Pokhara. I will be celebrating my 31st birthday with the Himalayan Mountains. Not too shabby.

This photo was taken in Boudanath of a Tibetan Monk chatting prayers and using his prayer beads. The Stupe is a very highy religious and prominent fixture in the Tibetan Buddhist faith.

1 comment: